This post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase through a link on my site I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
In today’s digital age, the use of cursive fonts has become increasingly popular, especially for designing social media graphics, branding materials, and marketing collaterals.
Canva is probably one of the most popular design platforms because the free version of canva is amazing on its own. It offers a vast library of free fonts that can add a touch of elegance and sophistication to your designs.
But before I get into the best cursive fonts on canva I want to give you some tips to help you pick the right font for what you are doing and or your brand.
How To Choose The Right Fonts
There are so many great font styles out there it can be really hard to choose which font to use. Especially when you first get started you want to use all the pretty fonts in all the canva creations, I loved all the brand combinations and wanted to use all the different fonts when I first started my online business. But let’s think about a few things first…
When it comes to creating a brand for your business or simply choosing the best font for a project you are making for a school project, the font you choose can be just as important as the style or the project, your logo, color scheme, and messaging.
The right font can convey your brand personality, set you apart from competitors, and make your business memorable to customers. But with so many fonts available, how do you choose the right one for your brand?
Understand Your Brand Personality Or The Theme For Your Project
The first step in choosing a font for your business is to understand your brand personality. Are you a fun, lighthearted brand, or are you more serious and professional? Your font should reflect the tone and style of your brand. For example, if you’re a playful brand, you might choose a whimsical, hand-drawn font. If you’re a more serious brand, you might opt for a clean, modern sans-serif font. Fonts in general help enhance the feel and personal touch you are trying to get across in your project.
This goes for anything in your business. Anything from your handwritten yardsale sign to your small Pinterest pins. People are going by both of those things in a split second and small handwriting or extremely cursive handwriting is not readable.
While it’s important to choose a font that fits your brand personality, it’s equally important to choose a font that is easy to read. Legibility is key, especially when it comes to digital content. Make sure your font is clear and easy to read in a variety of sizes and on different devices.
When you are making your next project you should back that design out to the size it will be when other people are going to read it. Move the little slider bar that is on the right bottom corner if you are on a desktop to the appropriate size when you are evaluating canva designs for your marketing use. Because if you don’t you won’t get any results for your efforts if people are scrolling on by because they can’t read what you wrote.
Consider bold fonts that are scripted. They don’t have to be super chunky but the ones that are extremely thin are very hard to read even though they are often a more stylish font.
Choose Complementary Fonts
In addition to choosing a primary font for your brand, you may also want to select complementary fonts for use in different contexts. For example, you might choose a serif font for your logo and headlines, and a sans-serif font for the body copy. When selecting complementary fonts, make sure they work well together and don’t clash.
Think About Scalability
Your font should be scalable and adaptable to different mediums. Consider how your font will look on everything from business cards to website copy. A font that looks great on a small screen for Instagram posts or other social media posts might not be as effective in larger formats. If you intend to make sales or have good conversion rates you need to have brand consistency.
In my own business when I used sales page tools instead of pages on my own site they did not convert nearly as well because the styles were so different even if the colors were the same.
A cohesive brand is really important for growing your business.
While it’s tempting to choose a font that’s trendy or popular, it’s important to consider the longevity of your brand. A trendy font might feel fresh and modern today, but could quickly become dated. Instead, opt for a classic font that will stand the test of time.
Test and Iterate
Finally, it’s important to test your font choices and iterate as needed. Try out different fonts in different contexts to see how they look and feel. Gather feedback from the people. It’s even better if they are your ideal customer. You don’t have to go ask a stranger but keep your year open and listen to what people say to you when they email you or you meet them in person to pick up their product.
Check to see what the capital letters look like as well as the lowercase letters. Some creative style fonts have HUGE upper case letters and they make it really hard to use in graphic design work and get things like the spacing right.
The image below is a perfect example of an over-exaggerated uppercase script font that would make it hard to use in a lot of places. It could be used as one-word accept fonts for things like Pinterest pins but as full titles or scripts it wouldn’t be as helpful.
The Best Script Fonts In Canva
When scrolling through the endless selection of fonts think about if you want it to look like natural handwriting or if you want a more elegant feel that my be less scripted. This will help you cut down on the time it takes to find the right custom font because it can take a really long time when you are shorting through the thousands of fonts canva has.
Best Free Options For an Elegant Font
These are some popular fonts as well as some of my favorites that are all assessable with a free account, you don’t need the canva pro plan to be able to use them.
- Playlist Script – is a modern and stylish cursive font that exudes a romantic and sophisticated vibe. This font is perfect for designing wedding invitations, social media graphics, and other design projects that require a touch of elegance.
- Great Vibes – is a classic and timeless cursive font that adds a touch of sophistication to any design project. This font is perfect for designing logos, business cards, and other branding materials.
- Dancing Script – is a fun and playful cursive font that is perfect for designing social media graphics, posters, and other design projects that require a playful and creative touch.
- Pacifico – is a fun and quirky cursive font that adds a touch of creativity to any design project. This font is perfect for designing social media graphics, posters, and other design projects that require a playful and creative touch.
- Alex Brush – is a classic and elegant cursive font that is perfect for designing wedding invitations, greeting cards, and other design projects that require a touch of sophistication.
- Lobster – is a bold and unique cursive font that adds a touch of creativity and personality to any design project. This font is perfect for designing logos, posters, and other branding materials.
- Yellowtail – is a fun and quirky cursive font that adds a touch of creativity to any design project. This font is perfect for designing social media graphics, posters, and other design projects that require a playful and creative touch.
- Mr. Dalfo – is a classic and elegant cursive font that is perfect for designing wedding invitations, greeting cards, and other design projects that require a touch of sophistication.
- Allura – is a beautiful and romantic cursive font that is perfect for designing wedding invitations, love letters, and other design projects that require a touch of romance.
- Pinyon Script – Another great classic cursive style.
- Jimmy Script – Classic cursive style perfect for wedding designs.
- Shadow Script
- Pushkin High
Pro Tip: If you want a canva script font that is not included in the free version you can try canva pro for free for 30 days IF you have not upgraded before. But if you want to create a design with a particular font you can upgrade for a month and then downgrade once you are done. That way it’s minimal extra cost and you can still get the design you want for only $13 for the month.
If you want to learn more about how to blur in canva or highlight text make sure to check out these posts.
Other Blog posts
Canva offers a vast library of cursive fonts that can add a touch of elegance, sophistication, creativity, and personality to your design projects. The above-listed fonts are just a few of the best cursive fonts available in Canva that you can use for your next design project and they are constantly adding more. Just remember that you are not married to the brand fonts you choose and you can change them as you find a new font you like better. You don’t have to make the perfect choice right from the get-go.