This post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase through a link on my site I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Whether your office is in the corner of your living room like mine is. Or you are fortunate enough to have an entire room where you can close the door. You likely want to make it feel just a bit more cozy.
I could tell you how to make your office cozy but our tastes are different. But I also know how annoying it can be when people won’t give you the step-by-step guide so I am going to do my best to do both. K?
How To Make Your Office Cozy
Cozy is a feeling. Not a look. Ideally what pops to mind is a room that makes you feel relaxed, safe, and warm.
You are going to have to know what you like and be able to say “yeah thats me.” Or “nah, not so much.”
Either way is fine. If you’re not sure. Look at something, pause, and ask yourself “How did that make me feel?”
Less Is More
Now I have always been a “get rid of it” type of person. BUT I would also leave decor up that I didn’t like or that didn’t fit with the mood I was going for because I didn’t have anything to replace it with.
In that case, remove it. It will be a visual battleground if the things you have up in your home don’t work together.
Once you have a clean slate to work with you can slowly add the pieces in.
Top Things That Add A Cozy Feel To Any Room
Here are some top… “features” (I guess would be the best word I can think of) to add to your office that will help make it feel cozy.
- Warm Light
- Soft or neutral colors. – Easier to change if you get bored with the style you have.
- Greenery [or the impression of life in the room]
How Add Texture To Your Office
You can add texture in all kinds of different ways. The texture of your desk, candles, baskets, blankets, a soft sweater hanging over your office chair…
Chalkboards or pinboards are another way to add a more relaxed feel to your office as well.
If you have the option, have a large basket in the corner that could hold throw blankets you could curl up with if you are cold while you are working.
Here are some great throw blanket options from target.⤵⤵⤵
How Add Warmth To Your Office
Warmth can be anything from lighting, wall color, or simply adding candles. If you are able to do a whole room redo then by all means paint your walls a warm but neutral color.
Here is why I caution you on not going to a bright color or very decisive color.
It is very hard to change up the décor style of a room if the color is not flexible. If you are like me and want to freshen up a room at least every spring you are not going to have as much wiggle room. Cotton Stem Blog has some great tips for picking a farmhouse neutral color.
How to make your office cozy with greenery
Greenery gives the impression of life in a room and invites you in. Whether you realize it or not humans are always watching out for their well-being. Self-preservation is any living thing’s first concern.
So when you see thriving life. Your brain thinks “hey this is a safe place to be with plenty of resources”.
Affordable options here⬇⬇⬇
Bonus Cozy Office Points
Add a small reading or sitting nook.
If you have the space add a small reading chair to the corner of your office that will able you to get up from your desk and have a different place to work.
Sitting at the same space for days on end will not do you any favors trust me.
Add personal or hobby items.
If you are like me and run a rabbitry or small farm you could add things that have a hint of country.
Add pictures or things that remind you of home and your loved ones.
How To Make Your Office Cozy If You Can’t Change The Large Things
Ok so assuming you can’t do anything about the wall color or large pieces of furniture here are some ideas and what I would do personaly.
- Clear the desk and anything visual that won’t be covered. IE open bookshelves or your desktop.
- Tuck all of the cords away that would distract from the décor. (remember less is more. Even the stuff that has to be there will distract from the visuals.
- Chose any one item to add texture over the chair that you will work in. Whether it is a neutral sweater or throw blanket.
- Minimize what needs to be out on the desk and find accent-colored notebook holders or writing utensil holders for accent pieces.
- Add a candle or two in an arrangement that will be in site the most.
- Add a faux plant to add life to your desk. Bonus points if you choose real. Here is a great succulent in a box subscription.
- CHOSE WHAT FLOWS TOGETHER. Don’t pick things that are different in theme or style. If you want to try different ones out totally fine. But pick one, build out the look, and go with that then try something different if you don’t like it.
All in all I cant tell you what is cozy to you. As you are putting your cozy office together though out the process pause and ask yourself. Does this FEEL right? Is it warm, soft and inviting.
If you don’t see something you like when you are shopping don’t buy it. As you create your office take the time to find what makes you stand speechless as you look at it.
You’ve got this.
Got questions? Drop them in the comments below…
On your home-building journey here are some other posts you might like.
- How To Make Your House Smell Good
- How To Plan Your Day As A Stay At Home Wife
- Spring Cleaning Without The Overwhelm
Is your backyard farm costing way more than you thought?
If you are tired of your backyard farm literally eating away at all your extra cash, check out the Productive and Profitable Backyard Farmer’s Club.
Learn how to turn your money-sucking hobby into a profitable business with my monthly lessons that ONLY take you 45 minutes a month to listen to and implement.